Delete multiple in Search-listbox

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Sugit

Post by *Sugit »

Suggestion:
After a search Alt-F7, you can feed the results to a listbox. Now I want to delete all results (directories). This can be done only one by one.
I would like to be able to delete them all at once. (Selecting multiple entries is possible, but not deleting. Context menu does not offer "delete".)
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Sugit
Context menu item could be useful BUT there is still Del key available. Why not using that?

And in the case you're using Function keys buttons (at the bottom of the screen): you can drop your folders on it too.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Sugit

Post by *Sugit »

My question is MULTIPLE delete. I already used the DEL key.

But sorry! I just found out that MULTIPLE delete is possible IF:
Configuration - Copy/Del - Use Explorer delete method
is NOT checked. I had it checked.

Is this a buglet or a neccesary feature?
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

It is possible to delete when Explorer Method is enabled, the FeedToListBox just doesn't update. Closing the "Results:" Tab, and another Search will show those files are gone.
Sugit

Post by *Sugit »

Balderstrom wrote:It is possible to delete when Explorer Method is enabled, the FeedToListBox just doesn't update. Closing the "Results:" Tab, and another Search will show those files are gone.
Yes, it is possible to delete, and behaviour is as described, but MULTIPLE delete is not possible (I think).
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Well I don't know how you are going about your deletions. But I know I have done multiple file deletes from a SearchResults listbox, selected with click + Shift + click, DELETE. or selected with click + ctrl + click + delete.

Both via Delete key, or the cm_Delete on the buttonbar - and explorer mode deletion enabled.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Sugit

Post by *Sugit »

Balderstrom wrote:Well I don't know how you are going about your deletions. But I know I have done multiple file deletes from a SearchResults listbox, selected with click + Shift + click, DELETE. or selected with click + ctrl + click + delete.

Both via Delete key, or the cm_Delete on the buttonbar - and explorer mode deletion enabled.
OK, I have to be more specific. I see now that the problem I report is only present in certain situations. Normally, multiple delete is possible, Balderstrom is right.

I have a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS) in the network.
In TC 7.04a
-- I search for ~NTIShadow on this NAS.

Result = 3 directories, with a names like:
\\Nas1\backup\Ws52\Bak_C\Data media\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\2006-07-16-1140-51\~NTIShadow.

Feed to listbox, the 3 directories appear.

Select multiple
Now I select two or all three entries. Context menu now just shows 7 choices, NOT Delete, Cut or Copy.
Delete key has no effect at all.
(Selecting multiple entries in a normal file list is normal: Single or Multiple select and delete possible, no difference in the context menu.)

Select one
Select one entry, context menu: I get a long context menu, with 23 choices, among which Delete, Cut, Copy. Delete or key Delete indeed deletes the directory as expected and all messages are correct.
(But this shows a bug as described elesewhere: the entry remains selected in the list. Delete again has no effect and no messages.)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

select one entry, context menu: I get a long context menu, with 23 choices, among which Delete, Cut, Copy.
If you delete via the context menu, it is Explorer that does the deletion, and is Explorer that puts the "Delete..." item in the context menu, not TC.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Sugit

Post by *Sugit »

OK, but delete key does not work either.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Now that might be something related to UNC pathing "\\"

With a regular C:\Foo\Path, delete key works on multiple selections (but with explorer delete method enabled, they aren't removed from the list)

I know, as I do 75%+ of my deletions from the middle-mouse button, which sends the "Delete" key to most apps.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

At least you found a inconsistency, if not a bug. Why can TC delete one file (with the Delete button) but not several in a search on a UNC-path?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes, that's correct - deleting via OLE2 doesn't seem to work when the files are from multiple UNC paths (I tried it), so TC only deletes one file in this case. If you use Windows Vista or 7, you may consider to use the Vista delete method, which is equally fast:
wincmd.ini [configuration] VistaDelete=1

You need to turn off the Explorer method then.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Since it is not fixed in TC 7.50rc1, maybe this should be moved to "Behaviour which will not be changed"
License #524 (1994)