Width of the "Extension" column in program panels

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

uranb

Width of the "Extension" column in program panels

Post by *uranb »

I think it is time to change default width of the "Extension" column in program panels, because I'm often can't see completely the size of a file, if it more than 1 GB.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The end user can easily change whatever the "default" is. Which is highly dependant on your screen resolution, what type of FileSize settings you use: byte/KB or the different dynamic flavours, and whether you have files with more than 3-4chars, as well as the Font used.
With custom columns you aren't even limited to having a single "view" for all folders, once defined they can easily be changed on the fly.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
uranb

Post by *uranb »

Thank you for your answer, Balderstrom. Problem consisted that now files with the size more than 1 GB not a rarity on HDD and with settings by default I can observe such:
Image: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5128/01a.png

There are two ways to save changed width of the columns:
1. Change column width, then click "Configuration"->"Options"->"Tabstops"->change any parameter->"Apply"->"Ok" and at a Total Commander next run I can see such picture:
Image: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1421/60036832.png
2. Edit [Tabstops] & [1024x768 (8x16)] (resolution) sections in wincmd.ini.
But it would be desirable to have such settings by default because the resolution of modern monitors has increased for the last years.
Last edited by uranb on 2009-08-16, 13:20 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

uranb wrote:There are two ways to save changed width of the columns:
What about using columns headers separators? You can hold and drag them. The final step is using Configuration -> Save Position.
uranb wrote: But it would be desirable to have such settings by default because the resolution of modern monitors has increased for the last years.
I cannot agree. Why bother yourself (and users) with it if there is something else what can make reading size easier: using one of dynamic size settings?

2ghisler(Author)
Please make one of dynamic displays default. IMHO it is nicer to see 1.5 GB instead of 1 610 612 736 b.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

@ uranb
I use "kbytes" for my Size Tabstop, and in the Footer.
I use the varied dynamic size displays for some custom folders. I'm generally not that interested in the exact size of a file, and find that info just takes up unneccessary space.
I.E. "kbytes" will show
0 K, files 0 to 1023 bytes
1 K, files 1024 to 2047 bytes

I have come to prefer the roundedness of kbytes in general vs the decimal nature of x.x dynamic, or the constantly changing letter descriptor of dynamic x.

With kbytes you can easily tell which different files are of different sizes as they have different lengths.
ie 1000 k vs 50 k

What would be nice IMHO, is if there was a mbytes option for Size, which could be used in a custom column.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
uranb

Post by *uranb »

fenix_productions wrote:What about using columns headers separators? You can hold and drag them. The final step is using Configuration -> Save Position.
Yes, 3 ways.

Balderstrom, I only have in view of, that at existing default settings including "bytes" for "Size" Tabstop, would be logical to increase "Extension" Tabstop width.