Way to get known current path if it's very long (by tooltip)

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SB

Way to get known current path if it's very long (by tooltip)

Post by *SB »

My small suggestion: sometimes it's difficult to know very long current path, path bar shows the rest of it, and "last paths" list shows "..." in folder names.
Is it possible to add tooltip to show the entire path, despite of it length?
IMO, the unused area in path bar (I marked it with red rectangle) the good place to react on mouse, and show the tooltip.
Picture
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

I also miss the cut off information from path's beginning very much.
On a network share like \\10.1.2.3\public, the drive info just says "\" and "[public]" - no idea what server I am working on without editing the path line - as workaround. :-(

A tooltip would be better than nothing, but not enough IMO.

How about leaving the first instance (drive or server name) visible?
Now
\\10.1.2.3\base\of\very\long\path\name\active\*.*
is shortened like
<| ase\of\very\long\path\name\active\*.*
IMO better would be
\\10.1.2.3\...\long\path\name\active\*.*

What do you think?
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Honestly, all we really need is for the CommandLine to be configurable. That would resolve so many problems.
What I mean by this, is to allow the end-User to determine how wide the CommandLine should be, and which side it should be on.

I can modify it with NirSoft's WinExplorer, thus it can likely be done with AHK, and would have to be done with a persistent AHK script, as TC redraws the commandline whenever the window is resized (restored/maximized).
TC Image: As you can see here

Of course it would be even better if DoubleClicking on the "status DirectoryArea" of the CommandLine would copy the current path to the actual commandLine as well. But I doubt we'll get either of these, so I might as well wish BIG.

If I could make that change persistent, I would leave the commandLine on screen.

Or the ultimate:
1) a setting to allow the CommandLine to appear at the bottom (where it does now) or at the top - in between the Tabs and the two panel's addressBars.
2) a setting to show the CommandLine left or right.
3) a grabber bar between the CommandLine and the Status area that allows on the fly resizing of the CommandLine by dragging. And if not this, then at least a setting to specify it's size(width) when TC is maximized, and it's size when it is not fullscreen (restored). But a grabber bar would be much nicer (and would save those 2 settings anyways).
4) a setting to allow the StatusArea to become an editbox.

With the status area an editbox, it now will always show the current directory, and you can click inside it to easily copy the path OR change the active panels' directory just like entering a path into its own addressbar does.

::OR::
If none of the above, TC should at least allow a ToolTip when hovering over the current active Tab. It will show you a tooltip for every inactive tab, but not the active one!
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I suggested to show different parts of path in path bar and command-line bar here: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=181899#181899

You may tweak TC so it will show current path in tooltip for every file or folder. Go to Configuration - Display, User-defined [+], add file type (i.e. *) and add [=tc.path] in its tooltip line. BTW, such way will display full path even if it's very long (divided into some lines).
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Interesting, I noticed that "+ User-Defined" recently, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out what it does.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Balderstrom wrote:Interesting, I noticed that "+ User-Defined" recently, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out what it does.
This option is very useful) You may specify a lot of lines for different file types and search templates. I.e. I added for files number of hardlinks and NTFS file index, and for reparse points its type and target path=)
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

[OT]
2Balderstrom
Balderstrom wrote:Interesting, I noticed that "+ User-Defined" recently, but hadn't gotten around to figuring out what it does.
I recommend you to take a look on "Files Overwrite" dialogue too (if you didn't spot it already) :)
[/OT]
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

SB

Post by *SB »

MVV wrote:You may tweak TC so it will show current path in tooltip for every file or folder. Go to Configuration - Display, User-defined [+], add file type (i.e. *) and add [=tc.path] in its tooltip line. BTW, such way will display full path even if it's very long (divided into some lines).
Thanks for nice solution! It works well :D I just added "\n" after [=tc.path], to make the path more apparent.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

SB wrote:
MVV wrote:You may tweak TC so it will show current path in tooltip for every file or folder. Go to Configuration - Display, User-defined [+], add file type (i.e. *) and add [=tc.path] in its tooltip line. BTW, such way will display full path even if it's very long (divided into some lines).
Thanks for nice solution! It works well :D I just added "\n" after [=tc.path], to make the path more apparent.
It is your right!
Glad to help! :)
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2fenix_productions,

Where would the "Files Overwrite" dialogue be? I am missing it.
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

When you get a pop-up notification that FileX is going to overwrite FileY, then the +user-defined is also there.

I'm not exactly sure what *for, but I'm thinking the dialog will have more info about the files, if you add more items via the +user-defined.

(*) All I've done with it thus far is add in tooltips for junctions et al, but will test some more :-)
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2Balderstrom,

Ah, OK. I guess I should have known that. Thank you, sir. ;)

User of Total Commander
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Found another place to display the active path: the window title bar.

I just wrote a script that adds the current path to TC's window title,
but keeps important information like instance number, RunAs-user and TC version:
AutoHotkey: Show the active path in the title bar (extended) (based on the one by SanskritFritz)

While the path bar shows the end of the path, the script shows (at least) the beginning in the window title.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

2StatusQuo,

How would you run it? And how to compile it? I don't use AHK.

User of Total Commander
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2Boofo
AHK basically runs without installation. It can be downloaded as zip or installer from here.
- You can compile the script to an EXE file using Ahk2Exe.exe.
Or:
- To run the script (without compiling) you only need the file AUTOHOTKEY.EXE, then you can run it like
AUTOHOTKEY.EXE script.ahk

After installing AHK or manually associating *.ahk to it,
you can run the scripts by just a double click.

A similar description is in the wiki, too.

P.S.: After running a script, it can be found as an icon in the system tray (normally a green "H"), the context menu can be used to "Exit" it.