Encrypted file copy behaviour changed - terrible for me

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Partial

Encrypted file copy behaviour changed - terrible for me

Post by *Partial »

to start with - I almost never used Windows Explorer :oops:
so it's specifics was unknown to me.

I have some encrypted files on my HDD (Windows encryption) and sometimes I copy them to other places.

When Total Commander 7.04a copied encrypted files from source to target, those always became decrypted at target destination. And I thought it's perfectly normal.

But when I installed 7.50 RC I suddenly found that files copied by TC to another disk or network location stay encrypted. It was total surprize until I found it's considered "normal" with Windows Explorer, UFU and FAR (don't know about other file managers).

However I really-really need "old" behaviour of TC when files copied are authomatically decrypted on the fly, but cannot change TC 7.50 RC copy behaviour in options to realize it.

Are there any way to do so?
If not, may be author could do a great favour and leave "old" copy procedure as an option in settings?

Thanks in advance for comments!
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

I've never really used the Windows internal encryption but here are my results from TC RC2 on XP Pro SP3:

With Standard Copy Method enabled:
Copy to another folder: Encryption stays
Copy to UNC Path: Encryption is gone

With Standard Copy Method disabled:
Copy to another folder: Encryption is gone
Copy to UNC Path: Encryption is gone

You can change the copy method in Configuration -> Copy/Delete -> Use standard copy method
theosdikaios

Post by *theosdikaios »

It would be fine if attributes like compressed, encrypted, (hidden, read-only ...) could be modified at copy dialog.
"Since there are many things which have never happened and never will happen,
and which nevertheless are clearly conceivable, and imply no contradiction,
how can one say they are absolutely impossible?" Leibniz
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed it's a "feature" of the CopyFileEx function. You can revert back to the old TC copy method if you prefer that.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Partial

Post by *Partial »

How can I revert to old copy method?

I tried to enable and disable "Use standard copy method" in TC 7.50 RC1/RC2 but encryption stays when copying to another folder no matter what.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hello Partial,
Disable all of the following:
  • "Use standard copy method (recommended)"
  • "Use compatibility mode for the following drives"
HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

Automatic

Post by *Clo »

2Hacker

:) Hi Roman !

• When “[×] Use standard copy method (recommended)” is ticked, “[ ]Use compatibility mode for the following drives
is automatically disabled (greyed out !) ;)

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Partial

Post by *Partial »

I already replied above that I did disable "Use standard copy method (recommended)"

Checkbox "Use compatibility mode for the following drives" was never enabled, it's clear, so there's nothing to disable.

Still if I copy - files remain encrypted and I can't get back TC 7.04a behaviour.
Hacker

Re: Automatic

Post by *Hacker »

Clo,
Clo wrote: • When “[×] Use standard copy method (recommended)” is ticked, “[ ]Use compatibility mode for the following drives
is automatically disabled (greyed out !) ;)
Yes, that's why I recommended to disable it in this case.

Partial,
Checkbox "Use compatibility mode for the following drives" was never enabled, it's clear, so there's nothing to disable.
Still if I copy - files remain encrypted and I can't get back TC 7.04a behaviour.
That's strange. I assume you are not copying to NTFS-formatted USB sticks. I guess Christian will have to shed some light on this.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

FAT-formatted disks don't support NTFS encryption, obviously. So he must have been copying to an NTFS disk.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

ghisler(Author) wrote:FAT-formatted disks don't support NTFS encryption, obviously. So he must have been copying to an NTFS disk.
Yes, that's what I am saying. The question remains - why does turning off the default method and unchecking using compatibility mode not revert to the old method of copying (decrypting the files)?

Roman
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I will check that - maybe I changed it for security reasons to match the behaviour of the Explorer. Strangely I cannot find anything in the history.
Partial

Post by *Partial »

Well, I thought I'll have to keep two copies of Total Commander - newer version for regular daily operations and older (v7.04a) for file synchronization and backup (when I need files decrypted on the fly).
Quite strange solution for file manager, but nothing better existed.

However in final release of TC 7.50 I found that (contrary to RC2) if I switch off "Standard copy method" I get "good old" behaviour of copying files decrypted. That's nice, thank you :)
Hopefully switching off standard copy method doesn't have any serious drawbacks, though it's recommended?
It seems if I switch it off and toggle "also.. big file mode" - copying speed is same or almost same.

For curiousity I checked and found that DOS file managers started from Vista also decrypt files on the fly when copy them to another location, Volkov Commander, NC and DCC all do this. VC and NC even support LFN though have no feature of file sync :)
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Partial,
in final release of TC 7.50 I found that (contrary to RC2) if I switch off "Standard copy method" I get "good old" behaviour of copying files decrypted.
Great to hear. :) By any chance, do you have the ini files from 7.04a, RC2 and 7.5 final so we (or Christian) could compare?

Roman
Partial

Post by *Partial »

I presume all *.ini files are identical, because every time I installed TC into same directory as "upgrade", not in separate directory. But if any section of *.ini is of interest I could post it here.