Cannot delete files from External HD on W7

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SMRDcompany

Cannot delete files from External HD on W7

Post by *SMRDcompany »

Hi,

I cannot delete any files on my WD 320GB External Hard drive. Today I switched to Windows 7 Home Premium x64. I was using Total Commander 7.55 on XP x64 with no problems, I can modify all my files easily there, but here on Windows 7 with the exact same version it says I don't have the permission to modify any files.

Exact message: "Error! *filename* cannot be deleted! Please remove write protection!"

When using My computer/Windows Explorer, I can delete the files easily.

I really like Total Commander and I'd hate to use Windows Explorer every time I need to delete some files on my External HDD. Is this a common issue? I hope there's a fix for this.

Thanks, SMRDcompany.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Your disk is probably formatted with NTFS. If the files belong to a user of the old system, and don't allow everyone full access, you will not be allowed to delete them. The explorer probably takes ownership of the files before deleting them - TC doesn't do that, for security reasons. Try to take ownership yourself via Right click menu - Properties - Permissions.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com