Navigation inside nested archive not always working properly

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

NotSure

Navigation inside nested archive not always working properly

Post by *NotSure »

To recreate the problem I tried to find the minimal requirements for the bug, so please follow my instructions below.

1. Create a small nested ZIP file structure, e.g. 1.zip contains the file 2.zip and 2.zip contains 3.zip (no more needed)
2. Navigate to the top, so that you see 1.zip
3. Now open open 1.zip (I use doubleclick), then doubleclick 2.zip, then open 3.zip.
4. Press Control-R (cm_Rereadsource) --->this causes the unexpected behavior in step 6
5. Press Alt+LeftArrow (cm_GotoPreviousDir) at least 2 times!
6. Look at the path where you are now (this is the system Temp directory here, just where TC usually stores the temporary stuff, for example unpacked files)

What I expected:
Pressing Alt+LeftArrow repeatedly should have taken me back to 2.zip and finally back to 1.zip.
However I am taken to D:\Documents and settings\username\Local settings\Temp\_tc\

Less important note:
This minor problem happens because I do not use the keyboard shortcuts, I use a customized menu bar instead: The cm_Rereadsource sits just besides the cm_GotoPreviousDir instruction. Thus I sometimes accidentally press cm_Rereadsource instead of cm_GotoPreviousDir which in effect takes me to the TEMP dir with the next navigation.
(I will move the instructions to other places this should solve the problem for now.)
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Not sure whether to consider that a bug or a feature.

Doubtful I would ever want to actually change dirs to where the nested archive is temporarily stored. Though if one did the refresh route seems a strange way to go about it.

Perhaps an INI setting to always ignore refresh inside archives.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
NotSure

Post by *NotSure »

Not sure whether to consider that a bug or a feature.
Well, this 'issue' just shows because of unorthodox accidents, when I confuse the buttons. :)

However, before knowing the exact procedure (it took me some time to learn what effectively is going on there) I was quite confused and wondering for what reason TC sometimes guides me to the Temp directory. Now this is pretty easy to solve by rearranging the buttons.

However, because it caused me trouble for some time I found it worth mentioning here.

Probably you are right that one could disable/ignore refresh commands inside of archives completely. This makes no sense.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

4. Press Control-R (cm_Rereadsource) --->this causes the unexpected behavior in step 6
Cannot confirm. TC goes to the location of the temporary zip, and then immediately back to the zip which contains the first one. Press Ctrl+R repeatedly brings you to the original directory.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com