FTP Show hidden files

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

marv-in

FTP Show hidden files

Post by *marv-in »

"FTP Show hidden files" is not working for me in this release.
Could anybody confirm it?
Henrie

Post by *Henrie »

I thought i could confirm it (did not see .htaccess file where i expected one to be).
Than i started an older TC version from my portable USB stick to find a folder where i would have a .htaccess. Than i tried at TC 7.55a and my .htaccess files all showed.
So i can not confirm anymore.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

When using MLSD for directory listings, "FTP Show hidden files" has no effect because MLSD doesn't support any parameters as the LIST command does. You may turn off MLSD in the configuration of the connection if you need this function. However, a lot of functionality will be lost, like time-accurate synchronizing.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
marv-in

Post by *marv-in »

Thank you for you answer. You are absolutely right. When I disable MLSD hidden files are displayed again.
Couldn't there be any feature, that when I select "FTP Show hidden files", MLSD will be automatically disabled and when I uncheck "Show hidden files" MLSD will be globaly enabled again?
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

Complain to server admin and make him complain to author of ftp server. Seriously, do it. It's the only way to get it fixed. Workarounds lead nowhere. Even worse, they allow stupid features to survive longer.

Hiding files on the server side made no sense even with LIST command, but since the original error came from ancient Unix times, everyone just learned to live with "-la". It breaks the RFC, because only allowed argument to LIST is file or directory path, but who cares.. And now some ftp server authors are (accidentally?) trying to repeat the same mistake again. MLSD also does not have any option influencing visibility of hidden files. It should always show all files and (optional) filtering of hidden ones should be done by client. If some files are not shown, it's either bug or you're just not supposed to see them, ever.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

There is a trick in TC 7.55a to make it send MLSD -la to the server: Just put
SpecialFlags=512
in that server's section in the filewcx_ftp.ini. Howerver, none of the servers I tested supports it, so I guess that it will not work in your case either.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
marv-in

Post by *marv-in »

Thank you, but as you supposed, this trick doesnt work for me either. When I try to show hidden files, it returns me an empty file list.
Anyway thank you very much for your patience, I have to get used to turn off MLSD for connections in which I want to show hidden files.