USB Stick Plugin: New third party beta plugin available

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: sheep, Hacker, Stefan2, white

User avatar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 38116
Joined: 2003-02-04, 09:46 UTC
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

USB Stick Plugin: New third party beta plugin available

Post by *ghisler(Author) » 2013-03-25, 13:45 UTC

A new plugin is available to access USB sticks on tablets like the Google Nexus 7 and 10 which do not mount USB sticks. The plugin does NOT need root rights!

Download:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.hechler.tcplugins.usbstick

Warning: This is the first beta version, so be careful and don't use it with any critical data! The beta has a time limit until April 15th, 2013.

I recommend that you install TC 2.02 beta to use this plugin - I have added some code to allow the plugin to cause a refresh. This is needed when a new stick is detected, or a stick is removed. With the release version of TC, you will get a message to refresh the directory manually.

Note to users of Stickmount: You can use this plugin and Stickmount in parallel. When you plug in a USB stick, you need to grant just one of them access to it.

I'm NOT the author of this plugin, but I helped with the creation by sending some sample plugin code. Please post in this thread if you encounter any problems.
Author of Total Commander
http://www.ghisler.com

User avatar
Number99
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: 2009-04-11, 13:56 UTC

Post by *Number99 » 2013-03-26, 16:21 UTC

I get a crash on my Nexus 7 every time I try to use the plug-in.

Edit: after installing the latest version today, it works! Sadly on FAT-usb sticks only. Hopefully it will work on NTFS soon.

:)
#202310

feri
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-02-22, 15:22 UTC

Post by *feri » 2013-03-27, 13:53 UTC

Number99 wrote:Hopefully it will work on NTFS soon.
Sorry, but there are currently no plans to support NTFS.

User avatar
Number99
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: 2009-04-11, 13:56 UTC

Post by *Number99 » 2013-03-27, 19:51 UTC

feri wrote:
Number99 wrote:Hopefully it will work on NTFS soon.
Sorry, but there are currently no plans to support NTFS.
Ok, that's too bad. Then I will have no use for it and will look elsewhere :?
#202310

User avatar
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member
Posts: 3436
Joined: 2003-02-06, 17:36 UTC
Location: Germany

Post by *Horst.Epp » 2013-03-28, 08:12 UTC

Number99 wrote:
feri wrote:
Number99 wrote:Hopefully it will work on NTFS soon.
Sorry, but there are currently no plans to support NTFS.
Ok, that's too bad. Then I will have no use for it and will look elsewhere :?
What should be the benefit of NTFS format for an USB stick ?
There is no real advantage.

User avatar
Number99
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: 2009-04-11, 13:56 UTC

Post by *Number99 » 2013-03-28, 18:45 UTC

Horst.Epp wrote:
Number99 wrote:
feri wrote:
Number99 wrote:Hopefully it will work on NTFS soon.
Sorry, but there are currently no plans to support NTFS.
Ok, that's too bad. Then I will have no use for it and will look elsewhere :?
What should be the benefit of NTFS format for an USB stick ?
There is no real advantage.
Well, the main reason for using ntfs is that I can use files bigger than 4gb. And that's a dealbreaker for me. :roll:
#202310

feri
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-02-22, 15:22 UTC

NTFS support

Post by *feri » 2013-03-28, 19:32 UTC

Number99 wrote:Well, the main reason for using ntfs is that I can use files bigger than 4gb. And that's a dealbreaker for me. :roll:
I see. If the FAT version works well I will take a look at NTFS, but one step after another.

User avatar
Number99
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: 2009-04-11, 13:56 UTC

Re: NTFS support

Post by *Number99 » 2013-03-28, 20:15 UTC

feri wrote:
Number99 wrote:Well, the main reason for using ntfs is that I can use files bigger than 4gb. And that's a dealbreaker for me. :roll:
I see. If the FAT version works well I will take a look at NTFS, but one step after another.
Nice :)
#202310

Weyland
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: 2013-04-22, 11:05 UTC

USB stick connects but files cannot be manipulated

Post by *Weyland » 2013-04-22, 11:39 UTC

Device: ASUS Nexus-7, Android 4.2.2

I installed TC and the plug-in this week, but I can't work out how to use a connected stick.

What happens is that I connect the stick and it shows apparently OK in the left pane (after clicking OK on three or four message windows).

I can open folders OK, but then I can't do anything with the files, such as drag'n'drop. A press or long press does nothing except highlight the selection. There are no longer any action icons at the bottom of the screen and the TC icon at the top is replaced with a stick icon. (I tried to attach before and after screenshots but I don't have enough posts to do that yet.)

What am I doing wrong?

feri
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-02-22, 15:22 UTC

Re: USB stick connects but files cannot be manipulated

Post by *feri » 2013-04-22, 12:16 UTC

Weyland wrote: ...(I tried to attach before and after screenshots but I don't have enough posts to do that yet.)...
I can´t reproduce this.
Please send me your screenshots with a short descriptions of the actions between each screenshots via email to ferenc.hechler [at] gmail.com.
Thanks,
feri

Weyland
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: 2013-04-22, 11:05 UTC

Re: USB stick connects but files cannot be manipulated

Post by *Weyland » 2013-04-22, 17:33 UTC

feri wrote:
Weyland wrote: ...(I tried to attach before and after screenshots but I don't have enough posts to do that yet.)...
I can´t reproduce this.
Please send me your screenshots with a short descriptions of the actions between each screenshots via email to ferenc ...
Thanks,
feri
Done.

Thank you for the quick response.

Weyland
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: 2013-04-22, 11:05 UTC

Re: USB stick connects but files cannot be manipulated

Post by *Weyland » 2013-04-23, 06:46 UTC

OK -- Feri has made clear how to use this now. Pretty good.

Shame there's no Linux version of TC. And strange because surely Android is the son of Linux? Is it because there are so many different Linux distributions?

feri
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-02-22, 15:22 UTC

NTFS support (BETA started)

Post by *feri » 2013-08-09, 20:53 UTC

feri wrote:
Number99 wrote:Well, the main reason for using ntfs is that I can use files bigger than 4gb. And that's a dealbreaker for me. :roll:
I see. If the FAT version works well I will take a look at NTFS, but one step after another.
The FAT version works well and I have started implementing code to support reading NTFS formatted sticks.

The BETA relese is availble in Google Play as "BETA USB-Stick Plugin (NTFS)"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.hechler.tcplugins.ntfs

Feel free to test and report problems :)

User avatar
Number99
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 26
Joined: 2009-04-11, 13:56 UTC

Re: NTFS support (BETA started)

Post by *Number99 » 2013-08-16, 15:20 UTC

feri wrote:
feri wrote:
Number99 wrote:Well, the main reason for using ntfs is that I can use files bigger than 4gb. And that's a dealbreaker for me. :roll:
I see. If the FAT version works well I will take a look at NTFS, but one step after another.
The FAT version works well and I have started implementing code to support reading NTFS formatted sticks.

The BETA relese is availble in Google Play as "BETA USB-Stick Plugin (NTFS)"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.hechler.tcplugins.ntfs

Feel free to test and report problems :)
It seems to work fine. A bit slow on my Galaxy Nexus, but it works! :)
#202310

feri
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 11
Joined: 2013-02-22, 15:22 UTC

Re: NTFS support (BETA started)

Post by *feri » 2013-08-16, 15:30 UTC

Number99 wrote:It seems to work fine. A bit slow on my Galaxy Nexus, but it works! :)
Currently the speed depends on the Cluster-Size.
This is normally 4k.
The speed is about 30% faster on sticks formatted with 16k Cluster-Size.

This performance lack will be fixed in the next release.

Post Reply