Overwrite all smaller

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

DarkKnight

Overwrite all smaller

Post by *DarkKnight »

In a copy or move operation I get a dialog box with several options if the file already exists in the destination directory.
One of these options is e.g. "Overwrite all older". Now I think it would be great if we also get "Overwrite all smaller". There is space for another button :wink:

I know that this option "Overwrite all smaller" might be dangerous but IMHO so ist the "Overwrite all older".

What do you think? Is there someone out there who would like to see this new option too?
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

I cannot imagine a case where I want to override a smaller file wich is not older.
Can you explain such situation??

sheepdog
Clo

A case---

Post by *Clo »

2Sheepdog
:)  Hi Stefan !
• I see a case: the same file + a pretty virus inside = bigger and newer…   :lol:

• Seriously, I agree, there is none usefulness for such a function.
:mrgreen:  Friendly regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
DarkKnight

Post by *DarkKnight »

Pictures, Logfiles, Soundfiles, Backups are some examples where the bigger file are most of the time the better one which you want to keep. Or every other file where you know that it is only growing and never shrinking.

The time might not be a criteria if you copy and move the files a lot between different machines or if you download them from somewhere!

You are absolutely right that it is a feature that will be used rarely but it should be easy to implement and it might help some people out there besides me ;-)

Is there someone else who might see a situation when this option is useful?
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

2Clo

Hi Clo,

I didn't say there isn't but I cannot imagine. I'm pretty sure DarkKnight would had an application in mind requesting this feature. And I'm really curious to find out what :) .

sheepdog
DarkKnight

Post by *DarkKnight »

@Clo: Thanks for the idea! A Virus-Collector whould love this function :-)
DarkKnight

Post by *DarkKnight »

Another situation I have in my company:

We work alot on machines with different timezones and we create logfiles that always grow. So the bigger files are the newer ones even if the timestamps say something else!
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

So I support your request for option 'overwrite all smaller'.
It seems to be useful in some cases.

sheepdog[/b]
IGL

Post by *IGL »

"Overwrite all smaller" - I see the reasons, could be in some situations (although rather rare situations).
:-)
DarkKnight

Post by *DarkKnight »

Yes this feature will be used rarely but if you need it it's quite powerful. Almost nobody can imagine a use for it, so nobody implements it.

But as with many things in computer life: some things you almost never need but when the time comes you are happy to have it!
Who knows all commands of a computer language or a tool and also uses them? Everybody picks out his 10-20% he needs everyday!
DarkKnight

Post by *DarkKnight »

And what happens now? How does this feature get on the TC wishlist?