PocketPC Addon seems to copy slow?????

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fudgebottom

PocketPC Addon seems to copy slow?????

Post by *fudgebottom »

Hi there,

I have just installed the Pocket PC addon for Total commander and have noticed that it runs VERY slow in comparison to what Explorer copys to the PocketPC via active sync or explorer.

I have had trouble with Total commander and drives other then disk drives in the past (as in USB stick and so on). the way of getting your USB Sticks to work well in Total commander as they do in Explorer is through the options --> Configure --> Copy/Delete --> Use compatibility Mode for the drive letter that your USB stick is on and then watch the speeds go about 10x faster... :-)

But is there a way of using this "Compatibility Mode" copy for the PocketPC addon? because it is not a drive letter you cannot do it, is there a way of mounting your PocketPC as a drive letter? this would solve a lot of problems I have with PocketPC file transfer and make life a lot quicker and easier as well :-)

Many thanks in advance!! :D
Last edited by fudgebottom on 2004-04-15, 14:00 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What do you mean with "very slow"? TC should show the transfer speed when sendin/receiving large files. It is very fast here when transferring over a LAN to my own Windows CE device.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fudgebottom

Post by *fudgebottom »

I have a XDA II PocketPC 2003 Mobile Edition that uses SD memory card, when I use my SD card reader the transfer speeds in Total Commander are very slow unless I enable the Compatibility mode (which is GREAT, works like a charm), but I cannot use "compatibility mode" if I copy stuff onto my SD card through the XDA II device as I have to use the PocketCE addon (which does not have a drive letter so cannot assign the compatibility mode to it).

I have found using copy past (explorer style) I get a smoother copy as it seems to copy a faster, I do not have my XDA II with me today so cannot do any testing and timed benchmarks at the moment but maby it seems faster through active synce because of the conversions of files it does or somthing like that I have no idea how it all works? I don't think Total Commander converts the files it's just a straight copy...

Is there going to be any development of say mapping your PocketPC as a drive letter (this sounds more like a microsoft issue thought???) or is there going to be a total commander plugin that will also convert any files whilst copying them to the PocketPC?

P.S. Thanks for the reply!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Copying to flash memory cards can extremely depend on the copy block size. I recommend that you send the files to internal memory and then transfer them to the card if there is enough space, or use a cheap card reader on your PC.
fudgebottom

Post by *fudgebottom »

Thanks Ghisler I will do that in the future!

Have you got any plans to pluginto Active Sync file transfer at all in the future through Total Commander, so that it will also convert some of the needed files into the Pocket PC formats?

I think that this would be a great feature if it is possible to do... Or even have in your existing plugin a way of selecting if you want to copy via Bindary mode or use the Active Sync file copy.

Thanks for all your time...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wrote such an enhanced version of the PocketPC plugin a while ago, but never released it in the fear that these OLE2 calls could cause crashes (which they don't do here, but some users really have bad configurations).

You can get it here

The source is here.
fudgebottom

Post by *fudgebottom »

Gee thanks for the link... GREAT STUFF!!!... I will give it a go...

:D :D :D :D
Angelus

Post by *Angelus »

Great Tool. I guess I'm to stupid to get it installed. ;( Could you please ecplain it more exactly? :roll:
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm, which step causes you problems?

How to install a file system plugin:
1. Unzip the plugin to a directory of your choice.
2. In Totalcmd, choose Configuration - Options - Operation - FS-Plugins
3. Click on "Add"
4. Choose the .wfx file of that plugin and click OK

You can now access the new file system via the Network Neighborhood.
Angelus

Post by *Angelus »

Step 2! I use the german version and can't find the option "Configuration"! :(
CoolWater
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *CoolWater »

2Angelus

see "Konfigurieren->Einstellungen->Operation". On the right side you will find a button called "DS-Plugins".

EDIT: "Konfigurieren" is a menue, means the row under the programs' title bar.

HTH

CoolWater
Angelus

Post by *Angelus »

Image: http://www.ghisler.com/images/pocketpc1.gif

THX for the help. To translate english is not my problem. I still just can't find the menu. The picture I see is almost the same like in the official screenshot above.
REDONDOS

Post by *REDONDOS »

The plug-in is for PC versions of Total Commander, not for the PPC version.
It is used to access your PPC files from within Total Commander when your device is cradled.
Angelus

Post by *Angelus »

Gosh! It seems that I'm really a bit stupid! THX for the help. It was to obvious to see it!
Marlow

Post by *Marlow »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Copying to flash memory cards can extremely depend on the copy block size. I recommend that you send the files to internal memory and then transfer them to the card if there is enough space, or use a cheap card reader on your PC.
I have a HP 4150 and when its in the cradle I get around 100k/sek when copying to internal memory and around 30k/sec to my SD-card. I use the the WCMDR plugin. This makes ffor instance mp3 file transfers VERY slow and annoying.

:evil:

Are these low speeds really normal? Copying using explorer active synch seems to give similar resuts.