cm_CopyNamesToClip should be added to the default TC menu

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Would be an addition of the cm_CopyNamesToClip command to the default TC menu usefull?

Yes! (or at least I think it would be helpfull for TC starters)
67%
No. There seems to be no reason for such an item in the default menu
33%

Total votes: 30

ford prefect

cm_CopyNamesToClip should be added to the default TC menu

Post by *ford prefect »

Now what is this about.
Loooong ago no one could even dream of such thing as Save or Restore selections of files in TC.
And now in the times when the Mark menu of TC contains the very pleasant Save or Restore selections I still miss the cm_CopyNamesToClip in the default "I'm not so skilled" user menu.
This is IMHO a key feature of TC.
I speak from "experience" when I faced @ my work or on the visits to my "skilled" TC-user-friendly-friends how this was Totally unknown! Even though the save selection to file is a great thing many people just want a simple "ready to paste" file list for Excel sheets, mail messages or just for the share fun of it in some "non-text-file-list-ready-to-copy-somewhere" form!
Also how many times have "you" faced such an issue of explaining people what is cm_CopyNamesToClip and how to use it! (Now I'm overdoing this but >_< naah, why not.)
This is the point where save to file comes pretty clumzy and not used as often as the cm_CopyNamesToClip which is not appearing on the default menu! The problem is that it can be easily added to the menu, but in order to do that the user doesn't have to lack on imagination and figure that there "might" be such a thing available in TC...
I other words I see more times using the DIR-redirection-to-text-file then cm_CopyNamesToClip and even more regretfully the save selection to disk. It seems weird but I always have to tell that there is no use for a third party software or plug-in in order to simply copy a damn selection of files to clipboard in TC :(

I'm well aware of the fact the Mr. Ghisler is strongly against any changes in the default menu layout because of it's already "complex" size but I find it really sense full to add this very-very-very useful but "hidden" item to the default menu.

So I start here with my vengeful campaign against human laziness and genuine functions translucency by the VOTE the cm_CopyNamesToClip to the Mark TC menu elections.

maybe under the item name "Copy selection to clipboard" and maybe with a nice intuitive keyboard shortcut like for example: Ctrl+Shift+C or (Ctrl+Alt+C ...hmm maybe not this one, could clash with the default quick search :( )

don't throw things at me pleeeez, I was out of my mind when I wrote this

Ford Prefect
Last edited by ford prefect on 2004-07-08, 13:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Panic! We have Total Commander...
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

In TC there are very many additional commands and I don't think that cm_CopyNamesToClip is the most useful from all them (I mean those commands that are not present in standard menu).
What about me - I use extended menu with nearly all the commands from totalcmd.inc, and in addition I assigned Ctrl+Alt+C for copying full names (with pathes), and Ctrl+Alt+V for copying names only, so I find it useful. But I use also shortcuts for Settings dialog, for Compare by Content command, for synchronizing directories, setting files' attributes, unloading plugins... And I don't know what I use most frequently. So, I think the menu should stay as it is now. It provides the basic commands for beginners. If someone needs more - he can modify menu and shortcuts by himself (if ne cannot - what then an advanced useris he? ;))
ford prefect

Hmm...

Post by *ford prefect »

Well we all use extended menus - do we :P ;)
Funny thing is that some time ago even I wouldn't think of creating such a poll, but the cruel reality of the sophisticated barely average middle upper-class user has thought me about the priorities and demands of the everyday TC usage (at least in the part of this planet where I use to walk around). Of course there are almost countless other commands that deserve the same if not higher kind of attention, but this particular one is In-My-Humble-Experience sort of frequent and unlike cm_copyfullnamestoclip it isn't even mentioned by the FAQ. Even though it is quite "popular" but sort of buried before the public (but not here in forum - is it :D )

besides it's not like I'm requesting a liberation of Tibet so I thought I give it a try ^_~
...but as I see now from the current poll outcome direction, well, it seems that there really is no need for such addition in the default menu.

thank you for your patience
FP
Don't Panic! We have Total Commander...
white
Power Member
Power Member

CopyNamesToClip should be added to the default configuration

Post by *white »

I voted Yes. I think the functionality of both cm_CopyNamesToClip and cm_CopyFullNamesToClip deserves to be directly accessible in the default configuration of Total Commander. Either by menu option, by button, or by hotkey. I think this will be helpful not only for inexperienced users of Total Commander, but also for experienced users working with a Total Commander version other then their own (helping out others for example).