Quick Search: short cut to switch modes?

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Heppchen

Quick Search: short cut to switch modes?

Post by *Heppchen »

Currently I use the Quick Search by pressing the starting char only.
Using starting char with dialog is not perfect for me ;)

But sometimes it would be useful to switch to the Quick Search mode with dialog so that I don't need to press 5-7 chars within 1ms ;)

I have assigned a short cut to open the configuration dialog/Misc at once.
But then I still need to press TAB and Cursor Down because character with Search dialog option has no separate hot key :(

I would like to see a short cut for switching between two different quick search modes. Does anyone know a short cut for such a change?

Another very intuitive solution would be to use a search by pressing SHIFT where the first Quick search mode is active without SHIFT, and the second search mode is active by pressing SHIFT together.

1) Press letter like T to jump to first file starting with T.
2) Press SHIFT+T to open Quick Search dialog and jump to first file starting with T.

I don't know any people who uses short cuts which are only combined with modifier SHIFT. Such a direct swift would be great.

A separate option in Quick Search dialog would be really nice because some plugins are available like QuickSearch eXtended

> http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=22592&highlight=quick+search

but I don't want to use always such complex search methods ;)

Therefore a smart swift between easy and complex quick search would be great. ALT+F7 is still an option of course ;)

Thanks and sorry for the large post
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The other option would bind every single Shift+Letter, preventing it from being used for a shortcut/hotkey.

A cm_ to switch between search modes is plausible, I'd never use it, but I can see where some might find use out of it.

I've always used TC with search dialog.

What might work, is just a cm_OpenQuickSearch
Then no matter what you have set your QuickSearch settings to in Config, you have a way to open the QuickSearch dialog.

As opposed to a command to toggle between Search settings... ?
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Heppchen

Post by *Heppchen »

Balderstrom wrote: What might work, is just a cm_OpenQuickSearch
Then no matter what you have set your QuickSearch settings to in Config, you have a way to open the QuickSearch dialog.
Yes, I already assigned this to a short cut, sorry, that it was not slightly wrong as I wrote

> I have assigned a short cut to open the configuration dialog/Misc at once. But then I still need to press TAB and Cursor Down because character with Search dialog option has no separate hot key

But I meant the quick search instead of Misc. Next time I'll mention the command. I guess the cm_OpenQuickSearch was in my clipboard yesterday but I missed to paste it. Sorry.
Balderstrom wrote: As opposed to a command to toggle between Search settings... ?
Ok, my suggestion for the swapping was the modifier SHIFT but this is probably not a good design especially when someone uses the quick search by pressing modifier ALT additionally to the letter.

Then I would like to have for each quick search option a separate command :)

cm_OpenQuickSearch_CtrlAlt
cm_OpenQuickSearch_Alt
cm_OpenQuickSearch_LetterOnly
cm_OpenQuickSearch_LetterOnlyWithDialog
cm_OpenQuickSearch_Disabled

cm_OpenQuickSearch_StartingLetter
cm_OpenQuickSearch_EndingLetter

Thanks in advance
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I wasn't suggesting assign a hotkey to open "Config:QuickSearch"

I meant, a new command, cm_OpenQuickSearch :: which would show the quicksearch, regardless of your ALT+Letter, Letter Only, etc settings.

As opposed to you suggesting 7 new commands...
Which I would give very good odds against such an occurance ;)

Actually, a cm_ToggleQuickSearch would probably be the best bet, it would fill the request of those asking for cm_ to exit QuickSearch too without using ESC.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Balderstrom
I meant, a new command, cm_OpenQuickSearch :: which would show the quicksearch, regardless of your ALT+Letter, Letter Only, etc settings.
Have you tried cm_ShowQuickSearch - works like a charm. ;-)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

No, I have a hard time keeping up with all the cm_'s at times ;-)

I haven't done a thorough run through of them since 6.5x -- Should probably reinstall 6.5x and diff the .inc files.

cm_ShowQuickSearch would be much more useful if it toggled the quicksearch though... as it has no purpose if the quicksearch is already displayed, it just unshows and reshows it rapidly.

Thanks. Here I am talking about something that would be useful and it exists. A sheepish dwarf isn't a sight to behold.
Heppchen

Post by *Heppchen »

petermad wrote:2Balderstrom
Have you tried cm_ShowQuickSearch - works like a charm. ;-)
Yes, I already use this:

cm_QuickSearchConfig | 479 | Conf:QuickSearch

Therefore I asked for switch/swap between modes letter_only and letter_only_with_search_dialog.

Moreover in 75b7 German there is still no hot key in this quick search for control 5141. It seems that's a minor bug in German version, it's not repro for other langs like Danish, Spanish, English.

But after checking all languages, it's also repro for Italian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Slovak and Slovenian.

Btw, Russian and Romanian have not been added by default although history.txt mention them. Maybe an update issue from 75b6?

Ok, I assigned now a new hot key (&c) to this control 5141 so that I don't need to press Tab and cursor down for switching to letter only with search dialog :)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Heppchen
Btw, Russian and Romanian have not been added by default although history.txt mention them. Maybe an update issue from 75b6?
You have to perform a normal installation in stead of an update to get the new languages.

It seems that's a minor bug in German version, it's not repro for other langs like Danish, Spanish, English.
It is up to the translators to make sure that all items have hotkeys. The English language file has 737 hotkeys, while the German language file (also made by the author of TC) only has 729 hotkeys - so that is a little inconsistant.

The average number of hotkeys is 694 ranging from 610 (Romanian) to 830 (Danish) - that's why you will find less missing hotkeys in for example Danish.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar