Windows 10: Do Total Commander work fine?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It would be helpful to know which function is hanging. Therefore please download the following tool:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_is_hang.html

Then post the report here, or send it to me via e-mail (support at ghisler dot com). Thanks!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Spaiky

Post by *Spaiky »

i have send you the mail...
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

The popups:

"Press Win + G to open Game bar"
"Press Win + Alt + Print to take a screenshot"

also appears here when I open Help...
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

petermad wrote:"Press Win + G to open Game bar"
"Press Win + Alt + Print to take a screenshot"
Apparently Win10 is thinking that TC is a game. :lol:

Open the game bar and uncheck "[_] show tips when i start a game"

Regards
Holger

Disclaimer: I'm neither using W10 nor I'm a gamer.
jehart1

Total Commander & Windows 10: works?

Post by *jehart1 »

I just upgraded my Windows 8.1 Zotac to Windows 10 and could not exit TC without waiting several minutes and then rebooting. I read this thread and tried several of the suggestions. Removing the SD card seems to have worked so far'
Thank you Spaiky!
jehart1

Total Commander & Windows 10: works?

Post by *jehart1 »

I have no doubt that my problem with TC on Win10 is 100% caused by the presence the SD card. Today I booted my Zotac ZBox BI320 without an SD card and ran everything I could think of for over 6 hours without a problem. Then I inserted my SD card and exited from TC. Then I tried to run TC with the SD card inserted. The system hung until I removed the SD card, but ran normally the second I ejected it.

My ZBox has Kodi, Pluto, Sidebar and Gadgets, various anti-malware programs, Statbar and lots more installed. It was my daily driver for several months running 8.1. Yesterday's update to win10 took about 30 minutes including an automatic download and installation of an upgrade for the Sidebar and Gadgets during the update. TC is the only program to fail so far. This gave me a chance to get and use Free Commander again for a few hours until I was able to get TC running again.

Your mileage may vary.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem has been identified - the function which checks whether a drive is a floppy disk drive hangs. I will publish a first beta of TC 8.52 soon which will handle this problem.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
dindog

Post by *dindog »

I can't drag&drop file from Explorer to TC, did anyone mention that?
Nevertheless, drag&drop file from TC to Explorer work, but be caution, it's a CUT instead of a COPY operation.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

dindog wrote:I can't drag&drop file from Explorer to TC, did anyone mention that?
Let me guess: Your TC is running as administrator?
Nevertheless, drag&drop file from TC to Explorer work, but be caution, it's a CUT instead of a COPY operation.
Drop on same drive?
The drop target(Explorer) is responsible for the action. And Explorer behavior is to move files if source path and destination path is on the same drive.

Regards
Holger
dindog

Post by *dindog »

HolgerK wrote:
dindog wrote:I can't drag&drop file from Explorer to TC, did anyone mention that?
Let me guess: Your TC is running as administrator?
Drop on same drive?
The drop target(Explorer) is responsible for the action. And Explorer behavior is to move files if source path and destination path is on the same drive.

Regards
Holger
Yes. run as administrator. Never thought that will make a difference. Thanks
kevo

Post by *kevo »

I am also having issues with drag and drop.

Initially drag and drop works fine. But If I press shift to turn copy in to move the copy dialog pops up instantly, and then if I allow the copy to happen (still copy as it doesnt change to move, despite holding shift) drag and drop no longer works at all until I close and restart TC?
sheppaul

Post by *sheppaul »

I find this entry on the Scheduled Tasks tab of CCleaner.
I'm using windows 10. I'm not sure it's because of TCMD itself or plugins.

Task {1477A38E-864E-4122-8FD1-5966B8C5BECB} Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\pcalua.exe -a C:\TotalCMD\TOTALCMD64.EXE -d C:\TotalCMD
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

sheppaul wrote:I find this entry on the Scheduled Tasks tab of CCleaner.
I'm using windows 10. I'm not sure it's because of TCMD itself or plugins.

Task {1477A38E-864E-4122-8FD1-5966B8C5BECB} Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\pcalua.exe -a C:\TotalCMD\TOTALCMD64.EXE -d C:\TotalCMD
Nothing from TC itself nor its plugins !
You are trying to start TC in compatibility modus.
Thats not necessary for TC so just delete this task.
kevo

Post by *kevo »

kevo wrote:I am also having issues with drag and drop.

Initially drag and drop works fine. But If I press shift to turn copy in to move the copy dialog pops up instantly, and then if I allow the copy to happen (still copy as it doesnt change to move, despite holding shift) drag and drop no longer works at all until I close and restart TC?
So I've since found shift clicking is behaving weirdly in some other programs besides TC. So it must be a windows 10 thing.

Is the shift modifier working for other people on drag and drop? I'm trying to figure out whether it's a windows 10 'feature' perhaps to do with touch input? Or whether I have a bug.

Edit: Not a TC or W10 problem. Narrowed it down to "Synergy". All fixed!
brente_de

Post by *brente_de »

Newest version of TC, both 32 & 64 hang in more than half of startings in Windows 10 final in Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (haven't installed Win 10 in other computers yet). Quitting TC (both versions) in Task Manager is very hard, getting them to quit takes from one to four and half minutes irrespective how many times "End task" button is clicked. Waiting TC to quit in Task Manager is wasting of time, because TC hangs immediately when retrying to start it. Only a complete reboot of the computer helps.

TC freezes also in Windows' Safe Mode. Reinstalling TC does not help.
I made the same experience after installing WIN 10 final version 2 days ago. Additonally TC no longer recognizes my SD card in the PC slot, while Windows Explorer has no problem with this. Meanwhile I found many more inconvenience with WIN 10 and will probably return to WIN 8.1