Selecting files/directories

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

djk
Power Member
Power Member

Selecting files/directories

Post by *djk »

I can't find one simple function in TC. I'm blind ot there is no such possiblity.
I can choose in configuration options if I want to select (gray+) only files or files and directories. That's ok. But I'd like to have another solution (like in Dos Navigator) - default to select only files, but with any other key (eg. Ctrl) - select files and directories.
It's very useful solution (at least for me :-) ) cause I usually select only files but in some situations I also need to select directories.
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can use Shift+End to select all files+dirs when standing on the first directory.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can use Shift+End to select all files+dirs when standing on the first directory.
That's true, it's a solution. Thanks.
Unfortunately if I had default (files+directories) in configuration - I would have to move to the first file to select only files (if there would be many subdirectories in the directory this would be a small problem) :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You can use Shift+End to select all files+dirs when standing on the first directory.
Is Shift+End bound to a specific internal command Christian? If yes how is it called?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:27 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

norfie wrote:
s Shift+End bound to a specific internal command Christian?
Shift+End is a standard windows shortcut (Shift marks and End jumps to end)
Hence, my question! ;)
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
norfie
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *norfie »

Last edited by norfie on 2004-09-10, 20:26 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

norfie wrote:Why do you asking? What is the reason for this question?
I was asking simply because if it was assigned to an internal command I would have missed it from my menu file that has the task of including all internal commands, visible on the menus!

http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=62
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

No, unfortunately it isn't - it's handled by the listbox control by itself, not by Total Commander.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

It'd be cool if besides cm_SelectAll we had one more command, say, cm_AltSelectAll, which would act opposite to cm_SelectAll (depending on configuration):
  • if "Selection with Gray +" == "Select files only", cm_AltSelectAll == "Also select directoties";
    if "Selection with Gray +" == "Also select directoties", "Select files only".
Hakarien

Post by *Hakarien »

A few years ago I already asked for something similar; my proposition was then:
With Ctrl-Gray + behave according to TC Setting (With or Without Dir)
Leave Ctrl-A for select all (like in Ms-Exploser)
I still belive it to be more simple than the above suggestions :)
jb

Post by *jb »

Valentino wrote:It'd be cool if besides cm_SelectAll we had one more command, say, cm_AltSelectAll, which would act opposite to cm_SelectAll (depending on configuration):
  • if "Selection with Gray +" == "Select files only", cm_AltSelectAll == "Also select directoties";
    if "Selection with Gray +" == "Also select directoties", "Select files only".
I think a command like cm_AltSelectAll is a bad idea because commands and keyboard shortcuts should be two different layers where the shortcut layer depends on the function layer but not vice versa. Commands are user-invokable functions and each function should have a single simple purpose and a concise name expressing the purpose as clearly as possible. On the other side shortcuts are just key-combinations mapped to a command.

So I suggest the following TC commands:
cm_SelectAll : Select all files and directories
cm_SelectAllFiles : Select all files
(cm_SelectAllDirs : Select all directories)

Furthermore I suggest the following default keyboard shortcuts:
Ctrl+A -> cm_SelectAll (compliant with the Windows GUI standard)
Shift+Ctrl+A -> cm_SelectAllFiles

Ctrl+GreyPlus -> cm_SelectAll or cm_SelectAllFiles according to configuration "Selection (with Gray +)"
Shift+Ctrl+GreyPlus -> cm_SelectAllFiles or cm_SelectAll according to inverse of configuration "Selection (with Gray +)"

By the way:
Imagine that one day TC becomes scriptable and you write a script calling cm_SelectAll followed by cm_Delete among other things. Obviously the script should behave the same way for any user independent of the shortcut configuration.