Uppercase converted automatically to lower case

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

devashanti

Uppercase converted automatically to lower case

Post by *devashanti »

I'm having a problem with Total Commander that might forse me to switch to another tool if I can't get it resloved very quickly.

Some of out files are in uppper and lower case in our dev environment. When I use Total Commander to FTP the files to our domain servers these files names are converted to all lower case, which obviously breaks all the links to those files.

I thought once I had selected something in Total Commander that prevented it from doing this, but I cannot find this option anywhere in the Total Commander menus.

Please tell me how to set Total Commander so it does not convert capital letters in file names to lower case.
iHostData is a full service web development company specializing in osCommerce installs, customization and other affordable eCommerce solutions for smaller businesses.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

After you have pressed F5 to upload your files, REMOVE the checkmark at "Convert file names to lowercase" :D

Image: http://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/convertlower.png
Last edited by petermad on 2005-08-27, 17:44 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar

Post by *Sticky »

Hi Devashanti,
When you copy to an FTP directory, there's a little checkbox that says "covert filenames to lower case". Uncheck it.

EDIT: Argh, too slow. :-D
devashanti

Post by *devashanti »

I don't see any check box i just tried it now - the only checkboxes i see in the download window are:
Download in background (separate thread)
Preserve file dates
Download later (add to download list)
iHostData is a full service web development company specializing in osCommerce installs, customization and other affordable eCommerce solutions for smaller businesses.
devashanti

Post by *devashanti »

i just noticed something odd when i FTP from the server to my HD it retains the upper case letters, just not the other way around
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

That's it. It belongs to the direction. If you upload from local HD to FTP-Server you get a different dialog than other direction.

TC per default changes the Upper to lowercase while Windows is able to display e.g. 'Windows.txt' and 'windows.txt' but cannot distinguish between them. So you may not have these two files in one directory.

With unix you may have both files in one directory, so you can get big confusion if you mix up Lower/uppercase names. But for those who would not like the conversioon from TC there is the upload-option.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
devashanti

Post by *devashanti »

Problem is I don't see an upload - I might not have the option as I'm using the free version - the image petermad gives reference to I don't have at all.

In order to do my work i need to be able to FTP files both from my system to the server and the other way round, without any change of upper case letters in file names.

I think you are correct in you accessment of what is happening - the server is Linux - my Desktop is Windows and the files do appear twice on the server - once with file names in Upper Lower case the other all in lower case.

It seems Total Commander is not able to do this smoothly, so I'll need to switch to another open source tool my co-worker is using and has no issues like this with. Most of the files we're working with are program files, so if reference links are broken nothing works.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Problem is I don't see an upload - I might not have the option
I don't think that is possible. AFIK that "Upload" dialog box cannot be disabled. Do you mean to tell me that you select some files, press F5, and then the upload starts without the "Upload" dialog box to confirm?
Last edited by petermad on 2005-08-27, 21:48 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Nothing is disabled !

Post by *Clo »

2devashanti

:) Hello !
Problem is I don't see an upload - I might not have the option as I'm using the free version - the image petermad gives reference to I don't have at all.
• Sorry, but in the trial version, not any function is disabled ! You must have all dialogues, including the “Upload" one that Peter and Stefan Sheepdog show…
- Like they explained, that box appears only for uploads, of course, and you can't change the case in the same way while downloading files. The files are downloaded "as is". Hence, you can't download files having the same names but a different case to the same directory; <Windows> beeing unable to distinguish the case, there is no solution currently, IMHO.

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

devashanti wrote:It seems Total Commander is not able to do this smoothly, so I'll need to switch to another open source tool my co-worker is using and has no issues like this with.
Please check again:
If you copy from Local drive to FTP you get this dialog

If you copy from FTP to local disc you get this .

There is no limitation for the unregistered version except the 1,2,3-screen at startup.

If you don't see the dialog with 'convert filenames to lowercase' you doing defenitely something wrong. TC is perfectly able to send files without touching the name, I assure you.

sheepdog.
Douglas Adams
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Another way:

Press in Total Commander [ALt]+[H]elp then [a]bout. There you find the location of your FTP-ini file (usually wcx_ftp.ini).

Open this file in a texteditor and change the value

Code: Select all

[default]
LowercaseUpload=0
or if this entry does not exist, create it. If set to 1 the names are converted, set to 0 the names remain.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
szlori

Post by *szlori »

devashanti wrote:i just noticed something odd when i FTP from the server to my HD it retains the upper case letters, just not the other way around
Then you should have no problems :?, since when you copy from your HD to FTP (hitting F5 Upload dialog appears), you should be able to control the conversion to lowercase with the "Convert filenames to lowercase" checkbox (as explained before).

BTW, how do you copy from HD to FTP?
What is the version of TC you use?
clumsy

Post by *clumsy »

[mod]spam deleted[/mod]
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

While talking about the problem of lowercase/uppercase upload of files I'd like to ask Christian once again for moving (or rather adding) this parameter to the definition of the FTP Connections.
As I often need to upload files to different FTP servers (some of them are case-sensitive and the other aren't) I always need to check/uncheck this option. Sometimes I forget about it and I have problems (eg. with web sites).
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Hmm, I don't know what other people's experience is, but I have to constantly check/uncheck this option even on the same server! I check it for my own uploads, but uncheck it e.g. for uploading PhpBB which uses mixed case file and even directory names...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com