File size refresh in version 7.5a

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pmshah

File size refresh in version 7.5a

Post by *pmshah »

I have set the drives to refresh when there is a change in file name, file size or a new file is being created , such as when an avi file is being created (ripped).

This process of ripping to an avi file takes any where from 30 minutes to a couple of hours. I see the name of the file but the file size is not refreshed and it remains at 0 -zero.

This happens even if I exist from Total Commander and restart it.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

It is not a TC fault. If TC shows 0 as file size even after manual contents update or restarting TC, so OS tells to TC that file have zero size - TC just shows you size that OS tells. TC autorefresh feature won't help while file size is unchanged.

Seems your ripping program keeps file open and writes data to it using large blocks - so file size may change only a few times during ripping process. Such behaviour you may see in many programs that do diffetent things.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It can also be that the ripping program creates the 0-byte file initially, but uses a temporary file while ripping, which then owerwrites the 0-byte file upon the end of the process. The SeaMonkey browser does that when downloading zip files for example.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
pmshah

Post by *pmshah »

I have been using TC for many years now. The software i am using which is ripping the file is avidemux 2.5. It writes just about a few megabytes at a time. The behaviour of TC is flawless under Win XP. In fact it is an indicator to me that avidemux has not hung.

Then I have to assume that win7 is not passing on the correct inco to TC.

I don't have much experience with Win 7. Only thing I appreciate it is that on my quad core 4gb phenom the performance - compared to XP - is faaaaar better - I mean a whole lot faster.

Thanks guys.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I may say only one thing - if you open file properties and see same size as in TC, it is not TC fault:)
nhhh

Post by *nhhh »

I have the same problem with TC 7.50a and Windows 7. The actual fie size changes every second and I can see it by opening folder in Windows Explorer, setting Details View and constantly pressing F5. When I switch back to TC it shows the last file size I saw in Windows Explorer and it does not change after pressing F2 or even restarting TC.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Please specify exact software with which you may see such TC behaviour.

So, I can see it using 7-Zip. I start packing very large folder (to have time for experiments) and see that TC shows same file size after refreshing window or even after restarting. But after opening file properties TC shows new file size. In Explorer window file size grows continually.

I think it is a Windows bug (or very strange and specific stuff, but I like to call it bug because in previous OS versions all worked fine) because even in console window on dir command Windows tells exact same size as TC and this size is updated only when I open file properties or Explorer window!!! :shock:

So, I think, MS thought out some new "feature"... that needs some additional steps to see updated file size. :!:
But I can't ever think out what search reguest use for googling such thing...
pmshah

more info

Post by *pmshah »

I have also noticed the same behavior while copying or moving files across different logical drives (across panels in TC). The list does not get refreshed every second or whatever but happens only after the job is complete.

I would assume that in this situation the transfer is completely under control of TC.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Re: more info

Post by *MVV »

pmshah wrote:I have also noticed the same behavior while copying or moving files across different logical drives (across panels in TC). The list does not get refreshed every second or whatever but happens only after the job is complete.
It has another explanation - last TC versions use CopyFileEx function instead of manual copying file using ReadFile/WriteFile - and OS sets new file size to size of source file immediately instead of increasing it every time when another block of data appended. If you turn copy compatibility mode off, you will see how file size grows. And, in this case Explorer will show you same file size as TC.
pmshah

Re: more info

Post by *pmshah »

MVV wrote:
pmshah wrote:I have also noticed the same behavior while copying or moving files across different logical drives (across panels in TC). The list does not get refreshed every second or whatever but happens only after the job is complete.
If you turn copy compatibility mode off, you will see how file size grows. And, in this case Explorer will show you same file size as TC.
By default this option is off and I have left it untouched. Apparently TC gets its information from the Explorer which too gets updated only when I open the specific folder AND press F5 to refresh.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

By default this option is off and I have left it untouched. Apparently TC gets its information from the Explorer which too gets updated only when I open the specific folder AND press F5 to refresh.
Or open file properties from TC. But I agree with you, it is strange.
pmshah

Problem solved !! Maybe not

Post by *pmshah »

I wonder how this happened but suddenly the file size is being updated - twice a second.

Only change I have made is a gadget that I added - Win7 Diskmon - originally made by SFkila and modded by Gersma. It can monitor 3 logical drives - and displays available free space.

I am not too fond of gadgets but this one I am going to hang on to.

Correction : There are 2 different files being created. One by Avidemux - size is NOT updated , the other by Super - size IS updated. Both are video ripping software - essentially am converting mkv to avi with standalone dvd player compatible codecs.

I suppose some more research is in order.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It seems to depend on whether the data is flushed to disk or not. If the writes are cached, the size entry in the directory can remain at 0 for a long time...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com