More Options-Compare in file overwrite dialog

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bfu

More Options-Compare in file overwrite dialog

Post by *bfu »

This item is missing when source and/or target file is in an archive (ZIP). cm_CompareFilesByContent works on the two files. Why ?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This isn't currently implemented because the file would have to be unpacked just for the comparison. Especially with solid archives this would be very inefficient and slow.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Well, it would only be on demand, not automated - and in that case it is not more inefficient than it is to abort the copying process, navigate to the two files manually, compare them with cm_CompareFilesByContent and finally start the aborted copy process once again and selecting the proper action in the overwrite dialog based on the compare.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
bfu

Post by *bfu »

The same: of course, I know that it requires unpacking but I see no difference when invoking the function manually either by Ctrl+F3 in overwrite dialog or by cm_CompareFilesByContent.
bfu

Post by *bfu »

Another instance: file system plugins and FTP. For example, when using SFTP plugin, I must first use cm_CompareFilesByContent to review changes (= file differences) in text configuration files before overwriting the server ones with my local working copies. Yes, I admit, it's a feature request :-)
ado

Post by *ado »

petermad wrote:Well, it would only be on demand, not automated - and in that case it is not more inefficient than it is to abort the copying process, navigate to the two files manually, compare them with cm_CompareFilesByContent and finally start the aborted copy process once again and selecting the proper action in the overwrite dialog based on the compare.
fully agree
bfu wrote:Yes, I admit, it's a feature request :-)
support++
Motorocker

Post by *Motorocker »

Support also for FTP dialogs. If Total show replace dialog, I must run new copy of Total, connect to FTP, find files in FTP and HDD only to compare this files.
ghisler(Author) wrote:Especially with solid archives this would be very inefficient and slow.
But unpack/FTP dialogs have Cancel button - user can cancel operation, if it works too long.
Graphics Converter – images conversion
KillOK – Cease to press OK!
NSCopy – copy unreadable
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

petermad wrote:Well, it would only be on demand, not automated - and in that case it is not more inefficient than it is to abort the copying process, navigate to the two files manually, compare them with cm_CompareFilesByContent and finally start the aborted copy process once again and selecting the proper action in the overwrite dialog based on the compare.
I agree. It's up to the user to decide if he wants to wait for all the unpacking to take place. If it takes too much time, the packer would be blamed, not TC. Assuming of course there would be a way in TC to cancel the unpacking of the files if the user decides not to wait.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
DrakonHaSh

Post by *DrakonHaSh »

bfu wrote:This item is missing when source and/or target file is in an archive (ZIP). cm_CompareFilesByContent works on the two files. Why ?
=>
ghisler(Author) wrote:This isn't currently implemented because the file would have to be unpacked just for the comparison. Especially with solid archives this would be very inefficient and slow.

for me personally, this option is not enough.
Reply ghisler (Author) incomprehensible. in what, from a technical standpoint, the difference between working for the archives cm_CompareFilesByContent and unrealized for archives "Compare in file overwrite dialog"?

please, implement this option, it is very important
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

in what, from a technical standpoint, the difference between working for the archives cm_CompareFilesByContent and unrealized for archives "Compare in file overwrite dialog"?
The same applies to FTP - cm_CompareFilesByContent works between local harddisk and FTP-site, so why not in the Overwrite dialog?

Compare by Contents works in the Sync tool for both Archives and FTP - so why not for simple copying?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar