Comparing files size limit?

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

Lucida Console, 8pt -> no bug!
Ukrainian Total Commander Translator. Feedback and discuss.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

MaxX wrote:Lucida Console, 8pt -> no bug!
Cleartype enabled?
Tried to scroll horizontal?
ATI graphic card?

Regards
Holger
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I use either Lucida Console 7pt or Courier New 8pt (TC's default). No problems.

But now I tested some other font's and font sizes and I can confirm some of the previous reports. For example if I use Courier New 10pt (or bigger) I cannot scroll to the end of the line by using the slider or the arrow buttons, but if I click on the right end of scrollbar just before the arrow, I can scroll to the end of the line, but it comes up when the slider is about 75% to the right.

If I use for example Microsof Sans Serif 8pt I can scroll to the end using either slider, button or click on scrollbar, but now I reach the end when the slider is about 55% to the right.

In contrary to HolgerK I have problems with Courier 10 (rasterfont). Here I cannot scroll to the end with the slider, but if I slide to about 75% and then use either th arrow button, or the keyboard right arrow (slow), I can slide to the end. It is the same if I use Fixedsys 9.

These tests were done with Windows XP and Intel Express Chipset video adapter.

I have so far not found a font/font size combination that makes the left panel empty at startup, as in the original bug report.

I suggest that everyone that has reported problems in this thread, report back which font, font size/weight and anti aliasing setting they have used.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
MaxX
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MaxX »

So, here's one more provement that clear-type is much worse than anything else! Even more, with non-native resolution on montor you can see wrong color of text and text's bg. This comes due to this "feature", which uses subpixel dots, so it makes much more troubles than you think and gives much more bugs than benefits. XP's native "default" method is much better than Vista/7/8's, and I wonder why M$ removed that type of font-aliasing...
Personally I switch off this clear-type-sh** at any PC I have to work.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Personally I switch off this clear-type-sh** at any PC I have to work.
Me too - one of the first things I do after having installed TC ;-)
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

Ok I found out some more clever thing! If you uncheck the "Smooth edges of screen fonts" in your "Performance Options" at the "Visual Effects" tab and apply the changes with these settings you cannot reproduce the bug anymore!
This setting will turn off ClearType too, but the fonts looks much nicer than with only ClearType disabled.

I used default font which is Courier New 8pt, when I showed you the bugs. Also settings are just the default ones.
FoxWolfie

Post by *FoxWolfie »

petermad wrote:I suggest that everyone that has reported problems in this thread, report back which font, font size/weight and anti aliasing setting they have used.
I use Courier New 12 pt bold, as I have low vision, and can't see smaller sizes comfortably. Cleartype is off, but font smoothing is on. If I turn cleartype on, the top file in CbC goes blank. Turning cleartype off allows the file to be seen again. Turning standard font smoothing on or off appears to make no difference.

If I turn bold off, or I decrease the font size to 10 pt, the problem with the opposite file going blank when I scroll 85 percent to the right goes away, but the scrollbar handle still disappears at that point, and the file still snaps back to the zero position as soon as a release the mouse button.

If I increase the font size to 14 pt, both files display as blank upon starting CbC - no scrolling required.

I highly doubt it is a display driver issue, since it happens also in Windows safe mode. My card is an integrated VIA/S3G. I know, it's an old system, but I am using the latest drivers.

The scrollbar handle of the opposite file vanishing when scrolling past 85 percent to the right and snapping back to zero upon release, happens no matter which fonts or video settings, smoothing etc, that I try.

The severity of the blanking issues seems to depend on the combination of font size, bold, and cleartype settings.

I tried with different ASCII test files. If the maximum line length is under 4252, everything works as expected. If any lines are over 4252 in length, the problems appear. The problem only seems to affect ASCII compares. I normally use CbC with one file displayed above the other when I'm in ASCII mode.
FoxWolfie
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The problem is that I can't just split lines longer than, say, 4kBytes, into multiple TextOut calls. Why? They may contain a mix of left to right and right to left text, ligatures, composite characters etc.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:The problem is that I can't just split lines longer than, say, 4kBytes, into multiple TextOut calls. Why? They may contain a mix of left to right and right to left text, ligatures, composite characters etc.
Did a clean installation of the new NVIDIA driver. First I removed the old 296.10 one and then installed the latest one that was released just today. I can still reproduce the bug! Also it's interesting that petermad cannot reproduce it while others do...

So my current driver version is:
Version: 301.42 WHQL
Release Date: 2012.05.22
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Also it's interesting that petermad cannot reproduce it
Well, as I wrote later, after trying different settings for font and font size I could reproduce something similar to what others have also reported here - just not the bug where the left panel is blank at startup.
License #524 (1994)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have analyzed it a bit more - I'm already splitting calls to TabbedTextOut into blocks of 8000 characters when the line is longer. I have reduced this to 2000 characters now, and it seems to work OK as long as the font isn't too big. It's really a bug in the display driver, there is no mention of any length limit in the documentation.
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

I can confirm that the bug has been fixed in the final version of Total Commander 8.0. Both 32 and 64bit version seems to be fine!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just increase the font size to, say, 30 or 36, and it's back. So it's definitely a driver bug, but at least there is a workaround for the usual font sizes...
sztihamer

Post by *sztihamer »

Up until 20 it's fine, which should be more than enough if someone wants to increase the font size! If you go above 20 in both panes you will see nothing... So yeah! For me the default font size is just fine! I never go above 10, and I always use a monospace font.
umbra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *umbra »

Confirmed. With default font it works with font sizes 20 and smaller.
Windows 7 Pro x64, Windows 10 Pro x64