FAQ Problems and Incompatibilities
- Alt-F5 is not working on my computer (with ATI display adapter)
- After installing Windows security update KB824141, quick search no longer works correctly. What can I do?
- When pressing Alt-Enter on some files (mostly EXE), Total Commander becomes unstable and even crashes. Why?
- After upgrading from Total Commander 4.0 to 4.5, the start of Total Commander takes one minute instead of 1 second! What can I do?
- When I start Total Commander, I get a warning within the first few seconds that totalcmd.exe is defective, probably caused by an unknown virus. However, my virus scanner doesn't find a virus!
- McAfee Antivirus 4.5 claims to find an unknown virus, but only when Total Commander is started through the startup group!
- Why does it take so long to launch the 32-bit version on my 486?
- The button bar background looks very strange (see image). What's the reason?
- When I close the Multi-Rename-Tool with the 'X' button, Total Commander freezes.
- Every time I start Total Commander, I'm getting the error message "out of system resources". After that, Total Commander runs normally!
- Sometimes when I delete or move directories on a Netware server, the network drive is disconnected!
- If I run a DOS program or a DOS command from Total Commander's command line, I always land in c:\ (or another fixed directory) instead of the current directory!
- The symbols in the button bar look fuzzy and unclean.
- On Windows 95, why doesn't drag&drop to the desktop work?
- From time to time we'll experience an error where the screen looks distorted, the mouse cursor freezes, etc. The error may be referred as an Access Violation under Windows NT, or expressed as a GP Fault or Illegal Operation under Windows 95/98. What can we do?
- Total Commander is not able to read certain special characters in filenames e.g. Alt-255.
- When I run Total Commander I get a message that the file ctl3dv2.dll isn't installed correctly, but it's there in Total Commander's directory!
- If I use the wheel on a Logitech mouse, Total Commander crashes!
- Suddenly the program can no longer be started. After the double click on the icon the startup screen appears, but then it freezes.
- While working with Total Commander, the keyboard layout suddenly changes from my language to English!
Back to FAQ
Back to Known bugs and workarounds